Re: [MV] HMMWV Dealers only and no license/GSA/Govt. involvement?

Andy Michalski (amichalski@earthlink.net)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:25:04 -0500

Julian and List, here is what I found when I was looking into this as
well. So many stories on these, it's hard to tell just what is going
on...

Julian Burke wrote:

Now where oh where did you hear
> ONE MAN OWNS THESE?

I had a guy by the name of John with an AOL account claiming that he had
humvees for sale, some non-running for less. Where he got these, or who
he was brokering them, for or maybe he wanted to middle-man them, or
whatever I have no idea. It seemed that he wanted to get out of the
loop, so I wont post his email out of courtesy.
Here is a cut and paste of his first contact with me...

I have humvees for sale with form 97 and low miles in the mid twenties
price
range.
this is the first time for this and I need help with web advertising. I
know
what you are thinking, but give this a chance. you will hear about this
shortly from mvpa and mv mag. call drms in battle creek and they should
tell
you that there are some humvees
for sale in atlanta that are a special private sale and that they have
nothing to do with it.

From the web site of Manheim, this is of course,
> very obvious.

I really didnt read what they said about them, just looking for info on
what kind of trucks they were and maybe see some pics. Do you think
that I am BS'ing this info or something?

> minimum. Now what's this about them already having 97's already? NO! NO!
> NO! If you know anything about a 97, it is issued AFTER a sale of Gov't
> owned vehicles and nothing has a 97 until after the sale.

I spoke with Bill Scurry at Bommershine, the dealer in question, and
when I asked about the form 97's and the dates that they had on them, he
stated that they were dated 1987 and 1993. I wonder about the 1993 form
97's, but I will assume that he didnt have them in front of him and was
relying on memory (this regards the 1992 end of hummer sales via DRMS)

is a FIRST for this test market and may/will set a presidence for
future
> Humvee sales.

If this infact is true, that would be great!

. GSA has thought of this already and there is a reason the 97's will
> be stamped "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY".

Getting to the GSA aspect of this, since you heard that the Marines are
selling these trucks, what the heck is the GSA doing in this? In my
experience, the GSA sells items that are in possession of any federal
governmental entity that is not military. The DRMS does the military
surplus sales. Granted you can get military vehicles from the GSA, but
these were after they were already transfered to a non-military agency.

Adding to the confusion, :)

Andy