Re: [MV] WWII jeep tail lights/Front Blackout lights?

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:56:47 -0400

Dan wrote:
>Let me clarify my last message regarding the lights on the MB/GPW. First
>I need to get the description right in my own head. Am I correct in that
>the marker lights are the one found under each headlight and that the
>black out light is found on the top of the left fender?

Yes. However, let me add to your confusion. Early GPWs (and MB?) did not come with a blackout headlight from the factory. Later, many of these early units had the lights added to them with a blackout light kit. GP/BRC/MA 1/4 tons did not have the blackout headlight.

Then my next
>question is are the marker lights and the left and right tail lights
>identical to the units found on the other WWII vehicles?

Yes and no. In the case of the GPW they all had the same appearance but some were marked with "F" while the Willys were not. There is also a difference between early (pre 1942) and later blackout marker lights. Some of the later built GPs and all of the GPW units used the later style. I would suggest you purchase a copy of the GPW judging guide from the MVPA to help you in your restoration.

Jim
"Considered too dangerous to be allowed to run for the MVPA board"