Re: [MV] MVPA election facts

Tim Clark (glengar@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:24:26 -0400

DDoyle9570@aol.com wrote:

> Guys, there are provisons for this in place, how about using them instead of
> spending time and energy bi..in'?
>
> First of all, it does seem to me that Jim Gilmore may not have been given a
> fair shake here by the nominating committee.
>
> Second, if you chose not to join the MVPA that is your right and freedom. I
> am a member and support your decision not to join, BUT if you chose not to
> join I really don't think this election is any of your business....YOU are as
> much of the problem as anyone on the board of directors could be, if not more
> so, for you are in a position to complain, and do nothing pro-active. If you
> wish to join another group, great, got no problem with that, don't want to
> join MVPA, too bad, but don't complain how it is run, and by the way, you
> probably shouldn't attend any MVPA events either, since you are not helping
> the organization in any way. Obviously, you are not helping financially, nor
> are you available for office, nor providing for its future, nor even lending
> weight when change is sought on import bans or demil requirements, or
> licensing issues.
>
> This is much like chicken and pigs relationship to breakfast. The chicken is
> "interested" with the eggs, but the pig is committed to the ham.
>
> This being said.....THE FACTS...
>
> I quote from MVPA Bylaws...(and I haven't heard yet of anyone who was not
> provided a copy upon request to National)...
>
> Section 4.2.2 The editors of the Association publications, "Army Motors,"
> "Supply Line," and the Membership Directory will be members of the Board of
> Directors, with voting privileges. They will be appointed to their
> respective positions by the Board of Directors and serve at the convenience
> of the Board of Directors.
>
> Now, whether this policy should be as it is may be questionable by some, this
> is the policy, and it hasn't been broken. So there should be no further
> discussion as to why some one was appointed editor "in secret". The above is
> how it is done, and "serve at the convenience" is pretty clear.....
>
> IF YOU THINK THIS POLICY SHOULD CHANGE, READ ON...
>
> I further quote....
>
> Section 4.2.3, Section 4.3 "...(iii) must possess skills, experience, or
> expertise which will benefit the Association and/or the Board of Directors.
> Such skills, experience or expertise will be judged by the Nominating
> Committee,....."
>
> Right or wrong, this is in the bylaws, and with this little gem you can
> legitmately keep any one off ballot if you were so inclined. IF YOU WANT TO
> CHANGE THIS< READ ON!!
>
> I quote further....
>
> Section 3.16. Petiton Procedure of Membership Vote. Members may require the
> Board of Directors to seek a vote of the combined number of Regular and Life
> members on a particular issue or matter under the following procedure:
> a. The members seeking relief must set forth in a writtten petition the
> [...]
Well, you are now hearing from a member who has NOT been privided a copy
of by-laws or anything else from MVPA, other than my basic membership. I
cannot even get them to respond at all in any way, shape or form.
Thanks for the by-law info but I disagree with your considering a $3000
"bond" as reasonable to prevent a lot of petitions since the
requirements to get a petition voted on are extremely hard to do--
OVER 800 signees in less than 60 days? How can anyone do that,
considering the mail difficulties? It looks again like the Board has
structured things to protect their "club".
I can't imagine being able to organize ONE such petition, much less the
"many" you envision....