Re: UNCLAS//N11240//Re: [MV] Politics and MV's

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 06:48:13 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: rrayfield@usasac-emh2.army.mil <rrayfield@usasac-emh2.army.mil>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Cc: Rayfields@worldnet.att.net <Rayfields@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 04 August 1999 18:06
Subject: UNCLAS//N11240//Re: [MV] Politics and MV's

Hi all,

A very useful insight, however:

>3. In the past BATF was issuing Form 6 licenses for the import of surplus
>U.S. SME to include all manner of vehicles. Recently, the State Dept asked
>the BATF to stop issuing licenses for this purpose - but supposedly, not at
>the instigation of Clinton.

I note the "import of surplus U.S. SME to include all manner of vehicles."

>4. The AECA provides that any country in receipt of U.S. surplus SME must
>sign a third party transfer agreement wherein the country in receipt of
>such equipment must not transfer any of the equipment to a third country
>w/o express written consent of the USG; the AECA makes no references to
>disposing of SME to individuals. These provisions were meant to curb
>countries from receiving gear via the Grant Aid Program or a nominal cost
>via foreign military sales (FMS) and then selling them for profit; i.e.,
>the USG wanted the money.

This, and previous missives seem to cover the re-import of specifically US made
and likely Lend-Lease vehicles, but what of those wishing to import de-milled
vehicles of definitely non-US design or manufacture ?

I know of several US citizens wishing to import British vehicles and it would
seem the F6 embargo on these is beyond the intended scope of the current hold.

Richard
(Southampton UK)