RE: [MV] M151A1 Starting Problems

Keith, Steve (Steve.Keith@compaq.com)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:03:01 -0400

I have had the same problem with my M151A2.

One thing you could try is to remove the carb to air cleaner hose
temporarlily and see if it starts better. The carb on the M151 has a vacume
operated accelerator pump. when the vacume drops, as in when you step on the
gas, it gives it an extra squirt. The other time the vacume falls is when
you shut it off. Great! as the motor winds down, it gets a squirt which
tends to flood it.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Antony Castagno [mailto:acastagno@sapient.com]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 1999 2:14 AM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] M151A1 Starting Problems

Hi List,

I have a problem with my 1968 M151A1. The motor starts flawlessly when cold
and when restarted immediately after being shut off. The problem is trying
to start it while hot and being off for 5 minutes or more. The engine
turns over in what sounds like a normal starting rpm but never catches or
sputters. I have been able to roll start it down a hill when this happens,
which kind of points me to the starter, but I'm not sure. I've had an
electronic ignition in the distributor for about a year and a half and
replaced the coil around the same time. Any ideas List? Thanks in advance.

Tony Castagno
51 M38
52 M38
55 M38A1