Re: [MV] More M37 trouble, HELP

Roger and Marie Roy (rroy@netspeed.com.au)
Sun, 08 Aug 1999 13:49:18 +1000

JASON GREEN wrote:

> Believe I found out why my M37 will not start. Its compresson reads from
> 1-6 as: 30,30,79,30,30,70. Thought this might of been the valves but I now

Jason,
Do you happen to have a boat? if your lucky enough to have one and the head is
cracked, you have yourself a great anchor!. To weld it properly it needs to be
stripped fully and crack tested, then heated and welded by an expert or it will
crack again. It can also be repaired cold with screw in things but what does a
second hand head cost?. Before you strip it again put some oil in the cylinders,
spin it over without plugs and re-test. If the readings go up you have bad
rings.Also don't forget to have the throttle held wide open when testing
compression. The air bubbles? don't know but you should re torque the bolts
after running for a while, the bolts will most probably go down half a turn
more. Also check valve clearances and valves for free action
Roger ROY
Australia
MVPA 13150, Studebaker 6x6 , 42 GPW and assorted junk