Re: [MV] MUTT

rrayfield@usasac-emh2.army.mil
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 06:53:17 -0400

Did Ford design and built the M-151 "MUTT" as a result of a request by the
military to replace the jeep or did Ford dream up the M-151 as an
unsolicited proposal to the Army to force the replacement of the M38A1 and
Willys/Kaiser/Jeep company's hold on that market in the early 60's?

Why did the military (if this can even be answered) give the "A1"
designation to the new jeep follow-on to the M38? The M38 and the M38A1
seem like totally different, although evolutionary, body designs.

Was the M38 the follow on to the MB and the GPW?

What is the civilian/commercial equiv to the MB/GPW? M38? Can I presume
the commercial equiv to the M38A1 is the CJ-5?

Does anyone know why "they" quit making the CJ-5/CJ-7-style jeeps as they
were the closest thing to the military jeeps; now they make whatever the
one is they make which just doesn't seem right - an evolutionary experiment
gone bad and it spawned all over the place....

Thanks,

RSR Jr

jim gilmore <jgilmore@oeonline.com> on 08/09/99 06:16:43 PM

Please respond to jim gilmore <jgilmore@oeonline.com>