Re: [MV] Indian MAHINDRA & Jeep makers

COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:03:50 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Teller <Henrik_Teller@vip.cybercity.dk>
Date: Monday, August 09, 1999 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Indian MAHINDRA

> Maybe the "LIST" could help to establish a more complete picture ?
***** This a real challenge as there were so many authorized makers and
models!

> Jeeps were / are, as far as I know, build [built] in

- Korea (Korando)
- Brasil
- Philipines ?
- Japan (Mitsubishi - CJ3B -J4)
******** According to my copy of the Japanese book "TRUCK 1/4 TON UTILITY
'Jeep' published by 4X4 Magazine (Japan), Japan built the following
variations of the "TYPE 14" Jeeps:
* J-50 (family?)
* J-J58
* K-J54
* J-J56
* J 20H (family?)
* J-J26H
* K-J24H
* K-K24H(B)
*J 20 (family?)
* K-J24/K-J24(B)
* J-J26/J-J26(B)
*J 40 (family?)
* K-J44
* J-J46
* J 30 (family?)
* K-J36
* J-J38
* The book also has information on CJ3B - J 3, CJ3B - J 10, CJ3B - J 11,
J3R, 48, 49, H-J58, and 70. Unfortunately I do not read Japanese. Perhaps a
Japanese reader could help out here. The jeep lineage chart this book shown
on pp. 78-79 is not quite correct I believe. It shows the M151 develoing
from the M38A1 yet these two vehicles were not directly related. The MUTT
M151 family is a separate design from the jeeps. The chart omits the M151A1
and the ambulance version. It shows the M38 developing from the MB/GPW but I
believe the M38/M38CDN developed from the CJ2A.
- The Netherlands (NEKAF/Kemper & Van Twist - M 38 A 1 copy)
- France (SOFIA / Hotchkiss / WO France MB/CJs)
N.B. the last production of MB blocks was, I think, in 1984 !!!
- Spain (former Hotchkiss production - CJ 3 B)
- India (Mahindra) - (Germany) - (Greece)
- Israel (Israeli Automotive Industries, various CJ Models)
- China (copy of Cherokee !)
- Canada (M38A1 CDN)
****** Canada built :

(NOTE: Canada was one of the first users of Jeeps. We used
Ford-Marmon-Harrington half-track "Jeeps" in 1936 (I have photos of them and
one has been preserved in Canada.) and at least two Bantam Mk. II were
tested in Canada, and Canada tested the MA. We bought some Ford GP, and
Canada bought 2,000 of the slat grill MBs on contacts CDLV-241 and CDLV-242.
These, and 3,000 stamped grill MBs (CDLV 505) were a special version of the
MB made by Willys in Toldeo OH USA for the Canadian Army and called the W-LU
440-M-PERS-1 (it says this on the brass Willys data plate). Later in the
war, Canada bought more "off the shelf" ordinary models of the MB and GPW
jeeps.
* Armoured Tracked Jeep prototype was built in Canada. (Some more tracked
jeeps were built by Willys for Canada at the end of W.W. II. - three of the
Tracked Jeeps are known to survive - 1 armoured and two unarmoured
versions.)
* M38CDN jeeps (assembled by Ford Motor Co of Canada)
* M38A1 CDN (also assembled by Ford Motor Co of Canada
* M38A1 CDN2 1967-1968, 800 made by Kaiser in Canada
(NOTE: The M38A1 CDN 3 was built 1970-1971 for Canada but IN THE USA )
* I recall reading that ALL North American "Jeep" manufacturing was later
moved to Canadian factories from the USA, so military contract & civilian
CJ-7, military contract & civilian YJ, military contract & civilian TJ etc.
have all been made in Canada I believe. The automobile manufacturing
arrangement between Canada and the USA allows cars to be built in Canada for
sale in USA and vice versa. (Incidently, a little known fact is that Canada
is the USA's largest trading partner in the world ! )
* Don't forget the Willys MB-BRT apparently these models of the Willys MB
were made for the British Army in 1942, and the Willys MB jeeps made for the
USSR with data plates in Russian (no survivors that I know of ).
- Taiwan (Yue Loong)

Henrik Teller
DK - 6270 Toender
http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc14286/home.html
(Danish Army Vehicles Homepage)
E-mail: Henrik_Teller@vip.cybercity.dk

Colin Macgregor Stevens (owner of a 1944 Willys MB which is ex-Norway & UK)
Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA member # 954 (since 1977)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net