Re: [MV] Compressed natural gas

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 01:56:50 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Zeichner <Alan.Zeichner@kp.org>
To: mil-veh <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 16 August 1999 23:54
Subject: [MV] Compressed natural gas

>While not quite military my question is vehicle oriented. Does anybody know
anything about the performance of vehicles that run on compressed natural gas.
My friend is looking at a van powered by this gas. I imagine they are less
polluting but do they have any power? Any other info would be
helpful........Alan

By compressed natural gas I think you mean propane and under several hundreds of
psi this actually liquefies at ambient temperature. Propane is normally used
since other acceptable gasses, butane for instance, will self freeze when
required to evaporate at an engine demand rate.

The systems usually require a special cylinder or vehicle tank with a dip tube
into the liquefied gas and have a preheating device to ensure the engine
breathes no liquid.

They are far less polluting and wearing on the engine but can tolerate
compression ratios well above that even obtainable on aviation gasoline, the
fork lift trucks invariably use propane because they run in enclosed buildings.

Power is slightly down on gasoline but its well under 10%.

The British government killed the foray into propane power here some years ago
with swingeing taxation and regulations, it is now trying to encourage it again
somewhat hopelessly, however, it is very common in Holland and any Dutch lister
should be able to give you all the gen.

Richard
(Southampton UK)