RE: [MV] M35A2 question

Joe Van Slyke (jvanslyke@austin.rr.com)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:33:31 -0500

You wrote :

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-Mil-Veh@skylee.com [mailto:owner-Mil-Veh@skylee.com]On
Behalf Of Rich Weinkauf
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 7:25 PM
To: Military Vehicle List
Subject: [MV] M35A2 question

I have noticed oil from the transmission dripping out of the flywheel
assembly through the drain hole in the bottom (the one you screw the fording
plug into when going through deep water). It drips at a rate of about once
per every three seconds, and subsides over several hours. Overnight I might
lose 1/4 cup total (it seems to slow down and stop as the thing cools down).
It also seems to be leaking less over time.

Rich,

Could be the transimission front seal although unlikely.
Most likely is the rear main seal of the engine.
Not uncommon on ANY vehicle civilian or military.

My '42 GPW has the same problem. This requires the oilpan be removed, the
rear main journal taken out, and a new seal put in. A major pain with the
crankshaft still installed. I was able to get one in, by pure luck and a lot
of cussing alternated with sweet-talking of my motor.

One of the drawbacks is if the crankshaft is rough from a bad seal, it may
still leak, but you might slow it down some. (My crank was rough as a cob,
but rebuild is scheduled for this winter, so we do the best we can for now.
That's what I was able to do.)
The proper way for this repair would be to remove engine, all the rods, and
main bearings, (being sure not to mix them up, they have to go back on
exactly the same jourtnals they came off of), get the crank out, put in the
new seal, and reinstall the crankshaft. If the crankshaft seal area is
rough, you may have to get it resurfaced,
(ground by an automotive machine shop).

What we used to call in hotrodder land a low end rebuild.
It's a good time to put in crankshaft and rod bearings. And get a good
quality.
click type torque wrench. You'll also need a good manual to tell you what
the torque for the rod bearings and journal are.

Joe Van Slyke
A 46 year old hotrodder with 42 GPW