Fwd: Re: [MV] M35A2 question

Jon Shoop (shoop19@idt.net)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:25:43 -0500

>To: Tom Bauer <tomb@ccpl.carr.org>
>From: Jon Shoop <shoop19@mail.idt.net>
>Subject: Re: [MV] M35A2 question
>
>At 11:14 PM 8/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>well you are all mostly wrong......
>>1) the rear main seal is leaking
>>2) you do not take the pan off
>>3) letting it leak is bad for the clutch and flywheel
>>4) there is no seal in the front of the transmission, it has reverse
>>threads to pull the trans. oil back to the trans.
>>5) removing the trans. is very easy only if you have the proper tools
>>and then it is very easy. i can change the seal in about 1 3/4 hours and
>>change the engine in 5 hours. m35s are very easy to work on because they
>>are so big you can get to everything. it is not normal for oil to leak,
>>seep, drip or anything else. it should all be dry..............
>>tom, m35 mechanic extraordinary
>>

>>===
>>To unsubscribe from the mil-veh mailing list, send the single word
>>UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of a message to <mil-veh-request@skylee.com>.
>>

>I agree....Tom walked me through this last year...and it was a
snap....Transmission jack and a few hours......

>removed the seal with a slide hammer....crank was like a mirror...after
some cleanup with crokus cloth(spelling)...and installed with a tool turned
from an old bearing race.......Presto...no leak....cleaned the clutch with
brake cleaner followed by overnite kitty litter dry out....pilot
tool..transmission went in the first time...and thats about it...