Re: [MV] GPW & MB serial number etc.

John Edwards (edwardsj@bigpond.com)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:44:52 +1000

Colin, Todd, Eugene and Mil-Veh,

Further comments shown thus(##)

>GPW engines apparently left the factory with a serial number matching the
>jeep's serial number.

## Engine number, chassis/frame, and nomenclature number alll matched on
issue from the factory.

>Willys engines were pre-numbered, and then assigned to vehicles. Probably
>the ONLY way to know if your MB engine is the factory original one for your
>MB jeep is if it is a Canadian contract jeep from 1942 as the special brass
>data plates on the dash list:

## Willys' always had engine numbers around 25000 higher than the
chassis/frame. This was the average, not the rule. The engine & frame number
never matched, by my records. The frame number should match to the
nomenclature plate number.

## Also GPW 81208 is around 2018xxxx bonnet number range.

Rgds,

John E.