RE: [MV] M38A1 Bumperette question

Lars Svaasand (lars.svaasand@valmarine.no)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:02:54 +0200

> O.K....this is all guessing...but think about it. Try to explain why
> there was the raised bit and what the intention behind this design
> was...then, so I believe, there is only one whay of mounting them:

This is interesting, lets follow this logic:

-The raised bit makes the bumperette taller without the need for a very wide
rear frame crossmember. The CCKW's for example, have a rather large
extension,
pointing down.

- The bumperette is designed to take up the shock of impact.

- With the small bumperettes, the only impact it really protects against is
if you're rearended by another vehicle. If you're backing up, obstructions
like trees, stones, etc, are
likely to hit something else on the jeep first.

- The decision to make the raised edge point up or down is then a question
of what
height the bumper is on the vehicle that is most likely to hit the rear of
your jeep.
If the majority of other vehicles are big trucks, etc, you'd want them
pointing up.

Is this reasonable, or is it getting to 'philosophical'?

-Lars, Norway