[MV] Re: GPW Radios

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:36:45 -0700

Dean

About the only radio set I can immediately think of that would be
best suited for your GPW (one that you could tune around for different
stations), would be a GRC-9 (VRC-34). I am pretty sure it came out after WWII,
but I have a manual that shows the installation in a MB/GPW (I have a web page
for it & will list it below). As for WWII radio sets, one of the correct &
most popular, for a jeep, is the BC-620, or BC-659 (SCR-509 & -510). These
however are crystal controlled sets (operate on a fixed frequency), and receive
in a band that really doesn't have much there, and you probably would search
for quite a while to get crystals for an active freq. The GRC-9 tunes 2.0 to 12
Megacycles, and in that range there is quite of alot of short-wave to listen to
(Europe & US HF Broadcast stations, amateur radio, etc.). It operates on either
6, 12, or 24 volts (depending on the power supply used). Check out my web page
& look at the bottom of the page, that's where the WWII jeep pics are. As for
your antenna location, most of the WWII antennas were installed on the LH body
panel, just in front of the wheel well, and had an angle aft about 45 deg.

http://www.imaxx.net/~pgv/GRC-9%20Page.htm

Hope this helps