Re: Re(2): [MV] repair or replace 5 gal. cans

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:02:42 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan <gwim2@student.open.ac.uk>
To: 194cbteng@pchnet.com <194cbteng@pchnet.com>
Cc: dweezle123@aol.com <dweezle123@aol.com>; mil-veh@skylee.com
<mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 23 August 1999 08:59
Subject: Re(2): [MV] repair or replace 5 gal. cans

>I posted the original note, and of course you are quite correct, but I
>think he only used a few PSI to do it. I know dented cans can be pushed
>back by sealing the lids and then just putting them in really hot water
>too.....

I wasn't going to say anything but Gordon has mentioned "a few psi" and a
salutary warning about even low pressure air is needed to underline that good
advice that has gone before, whilst balancing on the edge of the precipice
called Topic I should add that the scenario involved two 1/2" thick, cast,
machined equipment doors destined for the ammo magazines of serving UK Warships,
everything in magazine spaces seems to be made like this with a continuous
neoprene face seal and many captive s/steel retaining bolts around the edges as
the Navy seems to be apprehensive of electrical sparky stuff escaping into the
shell stowage.

It was necessary to prove deflection of the doors under the magazine venting
arrangements of 1.5 psi, remember that, a whole one and a half pounds only; the
mechanical engineer responsible set up two doors clamped back to back with an
air connection from a calibrated and hugely expensive (read every control and
safety device imaginable) air test panel, and a dial gauge in the door centre to
read deflection.

These equipment doors are 5ft x 2ft and when bending over to read the gauge the
temporary clamps let go with just 1.5psi applied putting him in hospital in a
critical condition with a badly fractured skull having stopped the mass of metal
squarely on the top of the head.

Only 1.5psi but 5'x2' is 60"x24", thats 1440sq in and at 1.5psi some 2160lbs of
shove, a bit over a US ton. . . . . . . . .

Do be careful and take a moment to think, even low air pressures can do a very
passable impression of bomb.

Oh, it wasn't my head thankfully but you'll find the incident in the accident
record of a major UK defence contractor whose name I can't mention but has
something to do with the man who sent the first wireless S across the Atlantic
Ocean. (Dec. 11 1901)

Richard
(Southampton UK)