Re: [MV] Korean War MV's- some more interesting history

JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:25:50 -0400

Any vehicle which saw combat and returned to the US is a rare thing. As was
noted earlier, there was legislation passed for WWI which effected the
rarity of vehicles from that period. A motorcycle friend of mine has a
photo on his business card of a junk yard in france- hundreds of Harleys and
Indians visible, just on a business card sized photo. WWII is no exception.
The jeep which belonged to the commanding general of the 29th Division,
Vixen Tor, belongs to the Maryland National Guard. The general, who was
court martialled for running a whore house for his men, brought the jeep
back and gave it to his driver, who didn't want it and then gave it to the
National Guard. There was one other 29th division jeep floating around the
area, which belonged to the commander of the Signal detachment- that has
since been sold off to a private collector. But those are the only two I
have seen and feel are verified as original vehicles.

For Korea, you have to realize also that there was another little conflict
going on right around the same time, which consumed lots of US equipment-
French Indochina. I have just finished reading a book about the US
experience in Vietnam from 1941 to 1960. The French had a terrible system
of inventory, and when they left Indochina, they took the best of the
equipment for themselves to equip their forces in Algeria (where we saw fit
to not intervene). At the time, the US Congress wanted to know just what
happened to the 1.1 Billion dollars in aid we had given to the French.
During 1954 and 1955, the major job of all the advisors was to sort out the
equipment there and re-issue it to the South Vietnamese. All of the quotes
from the original advisors contain references to the fact that much of the
equipment was still marked with US unit markings from the Korean War, and
deadlined. There were no serviceable trucks turned in by the French, and
the French forces' commander refused to allow inspections of the supply
depots. Of course, the good stuff was loaded onto ships and went directly
to Algeria.

My point is that you stand a better chance of finding a Korean War veteran
vehicle in France than you do of finding one here in the US or Canada.