RE: [MV] Data plate restoration

Marks, Greg (gmarks@kpmg.com)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:03:13 -0400

All,

I was watching this thread with interest as this was one of the next things
I had to do to my '53 M38A1. The data plate was black. I saw one response
where brasso would go a long way to cleaning up the brass data plates. My
wife suggested that I first try a pink eraser. Damned if it didn't work
great!! I was able to bring the raised letters up to 80% in about ten
minutes per plate. I tried the brasso after that. It raised the sheen of
the letters a bit, but also seemed to be taking the top layer of paint as
well (might just have been dirt in the top layer but I didn't want to risk
it).

So in short, try rubbing the data plate with a pink eraser and a some
brasso. You'll be pleased.

Greg

is unauthorized.