RE: [MV] Question--M38A1 - Noisy rear diff

fv74@altavista.net
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

Greg

Your diff. should not be that loud. Check your bearings. From my experience, a deceleration noise is usually a pinion bearing. Do not let it go too long, as a bad bearing will damage other components. I have also had pinion nuts come loose and had a loud howling on decel. If you need to have your rear rebuilt, make sure you go to an experienced mechanic. An improperly setup ring and pinion will only last a few miles.

Dave Fillman
45MB