Re: [MV] M35 distributor

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:05:04 -0500

I was checking out my M51 last fall and as I recall there was about 5
volts between the coil hot terminal and ground when the points were
closed. So that sounds about right to me. If you bypass the resistor I
think the coil would be toasted soon after that. Think about it, the
only resistance between the +24 volts and ground would be the wire in the
coil, and the point resistance. That means big currents will flow and
something will get quite hot and fry. Make sure your points are clean
and the condenser is good. If you suspect the condenser you can
disconnect it and see if that makes a difference. The condenser
prevents excessive arcing across the points.

Dave