Re: [MV] Kroil?

King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:13:33 -0700

>Dave Cole wrote:
>
>> What do you guys use to loosen rusted bolts? I just got a can of Kroil
>> and I'm going to try it out on some spring bolts. Am I wasting my time
>> with Kroil? Is there better stuff?
>>
>> Dave

The best stuff I came across is Nuts Off!Smells like a really strong
penetrating oil.
I have used coke but it takes a long time to work.I've used it on engine
blocks with stuck pistons where I want to try and save the pistons.I would
pour some coke into the cylinder(you don't have to fill it up).This is with
the head already off.I would leave it over night and the drain the next day
and fill again.Repeat for about a week and then use as large a piece of wood
to get into the bore and use a small sledge(2 1/2#)and tap it down.Then I
would use a shot hone and hone the bores to remove any more rust and ridges
and flip the block over and tap out the rod and piston assembly.Usuall those
pistons won't work on that block but many times are good enough to work on a
smaller bored one.This system has never failed me yet.
For rusty bolts the Nuts Off works really good.Sometimes just heating the
bolt with a propane torch and cooling it with the Nuts Off works on the
really bad ones but the caution with this is that spraying Nuts Off or
anything on a hot bolt can catch on fire and/or give off really poisonous gases.
My 10cents worth(inflation)
Andre