Re: Fw: [MV] Sorry, server was down

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:11:27 -0500

Dear list members,=20

Ron Johanson wrote:
............All you MVPA members, Its time to stand up and be=
counted.
>Below is an email I sent today to HQ. As members its our duty to tell them
>what we think is important to us. Asking them to supply assistance to=
Arthur
>in a formal manner is in no way an attempt to try and control the list but
>is an attempt to acknowledge his defacto " Daddy" of our hobbies " List #=
1
>" status.................

Ron, one of the great things about this list is that it is NOT under=
control by the MVPA or any other group. This is the only type of MV forum I=
know of where a free exchange of opinions, ideas and data are allowed. =
Having the MVPA (or any other group) support it would compromise it's=
independence. I can assure you that if the MVPA had any control over this=
list the story and subsequent discussion of the latest MVPA elections (for=
example) would not have been allowed. In my discussion with the MVPA=
President his displeasure with the list and many of the subscribers was=
made very clear. In a phone conversation to another member he stated that=
this discussion was "off topic" for the list. This attitude along with the=
MVPA discounting the value of e-mails as opposed to written letters shows=
what they think of this type of forum. Only one or two of the MVPA board=
members actually subscribe to this list, and when was the last time any of=
them replied to anything posted here? Look where the MVPA President's=
letter in response to the election controversy was posted. It was not on=
this list even though this is where all the discussion was going on!
=20
On the other hand, many of the people (vendors) that supply us with=
parts, etc. ARE subscribers to this list. Wee Bee Webbing, Front Line,=
MVP, Rick Larson, Winer's Motors, D. Bensinger, Portrayl Press, Joe Young,=
John Bizal and many others read and respond to the questions and=
discussions on the list.

I would suggest that we, the users of this list, should be the ones=
to support it. A voluntary donation from each of us would go far in=
getting Arthur the new equipment that he (and we) need to keep this=
resource up to date. It would also allow the list to stay independent of=
any outside influences. If only say, 200 of us sent in a measly $10.00=
($15.00CDN) each, that $2,000.00 would be a help in getting the new=
equipment. AND, if the vendors who subscribe to (and make sales from) the=
list, would send a slightly larger contribution we will be even further=
along in helping keep the list independent and active into the future.
I'll put my money where my mouth is and send Arthur a check for=
$50.00. =20

Another possible idea......... One thing that amazes me is how many MV=
collectors are subscribers to this list. I spoke to at least 50 list=
members at the Tobyhanna rally alone and at least another 20+ at the Iola=
rally. The hardest thing is to recognize other list members. Maybe a=
distinctive T shirt that could be worn at these rallys would help! OD=
Green with some slogan such as "I'm on the list! -- Mil-Veh@Skylee.com"=
with a drawing of say, a Stuart tank bursting out of a computer monitor . =
Profits from shirt sales would go to upgrade the equipment. I could talk=
to Ben Zatarski at Lake Screen Printing about it. Just a suggestion...

--Jim

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Jim Gilmore 2565 Wiethoff, Inkster, MI 48141
1-313-561-8826 <voice> * 1-313-730-1652 <fax>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D