Re: [MV] Tips: Ferret water bottles, grenades, radio, etc.

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:16:35 -0500

Jack wrote:
>...............The Ferret Mark 2/3 has several round metal straps attached
to the interior
>wall for crew drinking water.

The "straps" are actually for thermos bottles. These are large
diameter bottles with a large opening on the top. A huge cork is used as a
top. They are very hard to find and are very expensive ($100.00 US) when
you do find them. You might find some for sale on Nigel Hays web site
(what was that web address again Nigel?) as the only place I've seen them
is in the UK.
Water for the crew is carried in standard Brit canteens mounted on
the left side of the driver and a 5 gal. water can mounted on the left rear
wing (fender).

I painted mine to match the exterior green color........

All the bottles I've seen are black.

>I also found that PVC tube cut to length and with an end cap makes a
passable
>looking smoke grenade for the 6 front launchers..........

I have a friend who makes up dummy smoke discharger tubes for the
Ferret/Saladin/Saracen. They are metal and look like the real ones but
without a hole in the bottom. Contact me off list for his address.

>I have the complete Mk 19 radio ...this unit mounts behind the gunners
seat,
>however there must be some sort of box or rack to hold the radio? It would
>appear to slide into two tracks provided on a gear box cover. The photos I
>have do not give me enough detail to see what this is, so any info here
would
>be appreciated. Better yet, anyone have a picture or sketch?

How about the installation TM? I have copies of this available along
with reproduction Ferret operator manual, parts book and other
Ferret/Saladin/Saracen publications.
I should note that the 19 set was used in the very early Ferrets etc.
Most post war British Armour used the later C-42/ C-45 sets known as
Larkspur. Some of the last Ferrets de-mobbed had the later Clansman series
radios and intercom boxes. Speaking of boxes, I have a couple of 19 set
boxes for sale and some Larkspur microphone/headsets also.
The radio mounts on a tray that slides into the two tracks on the top
of the gear box. These trays are hard to find even in the UK. If you do
find them it's hard to get them home as they don't fit in suitcases! (try
getting a side stowage box home in your duffel bag!) I can send photos of
my tray to any Ferret owners that may want to fab one up. With the 19 set
you will need the mount for the radio/power unit also. Another hard to find
item (aren't British MV's fun?) . I can provide photos of my 19 set mount
also.
Now to confuse the issue..........My Fieldmouse Mk 1 (1954 model) is a
former Canadian Army unit. The Canadians used, in the later years of
service, US Army radios! If you want to know if your Mk 1 is a former
Canadian, look in the engine compartment and see if it has a standard US
type 24 volt alternator. The Canadian Army,in their wisdom, replaced the
British oil-cooled, two speed generator with the simple and easy to get
(same as M-151-A2) US one.

>Still searching for that army style camping tent...

What you really want to get is a British "biv v y " tent. This tent
hooks on to the side of the Ferret and makes a lean to type of shelter.
Standard kit for the armour crews.

Time to "brew up" now.

--Jim