RE: [MV] M38A1 Exhaust Manifold leak

Marks, Greg (gmarks@kpmg.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:48:43 -0400

I just went through the same thing. In fact, I believe my problem was
caused by a mechanic replacing the manifold studs. I had just gotten the
engine back from having the studs replace. The mechanic apparently either
drilled to deep in preparation for cutting new threads or he just ran the
thread in too deep.

The back end of my manifold was bubbling antifreeze. I pulled the manifold
and started the engine. The leak was clearly coming from the stud. I was
able to stop my leak with a liberal application of gasket cement and Teflon
tape.

As to pulling the manifold, its not too hard if the nuts are still intact.
I was able to get mine off in about 45 minutes (but it had just been
installed). Make sure to have new gaskets on hand and know that you are
installing it for the last time. I buggered the tailpipe gasket because I
put it in before I had to disassemble a second time.

Hopefully, you'll discover the thread of the stud is leaking and not the
fluid is coming in through the exhaust port indicating a cracked head.

Good luck,

Greg
'53 M38A1

is unauthorized.