Re: [MV] RE: MV brake bleeders

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:31:58 -0500

>..... I would use the bernzomatic
>torch (lightly) on the castiron housing myself.

For a torch to release a siezed thread you need to get it red hot.

> Also, pound in an easy
>out of the appropriate size and use a Tap holder to try to remove it.

Ahhhhhhh, never. Easy-outs will not get a bolt/stud out that is siezed.
You will just break it off and they you have an even bigger problem. At
least once a month someone comes in, or calls, about getting a broken off
bolt out. I say "sure, no problem", then I look at it and see that little
square shaped end of the snapped off easy-out and I just hand it back to
them. I send them over to a tool and die shop that burns out taps,
easy-outs, etc. That will set you back $50 to $100 per hole.

>3. If you have to drill it out, you might take it to a machine shop
>unless you have a really good drill press which can hold the cylinder
>steady. Otherwise you can slip and destroy threads in the cylinder (the
>voice of experience talking here!).

Yes, but take it to the machine shop before you've gone to far and already
ruined it yourself.

je (owner of a machine shop)