Re: [MV] converting Cummins to multi-fuel

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:23:04 -0500

>Hi all,
>does anyone know if it is possible to convert a standard engine to
>multi-fuel? I have a '93 Cummins W350 Dodge, and would like to convert it,
>or find out how.

To start with you'd have to raise your compression ratio, your Cummins is
something like 16:1, I beleive the Continental multifuels are like 22:1 or
more. Second you need a pump that is lubricated by other than Diesel fuel,
and third you need a way for the pump to alter fuel delivery rates based on
fuel viscosity (roughly proportional to energy content). If you could
figure out #1, I suppose you might be able to adapt a pump from a LDT465 but
WHY?

You could easily convert it to run on natural gas! In fact Cummins sells on
off the shelf version of the 6BT5.9 for that.

Good luck!