Re: [MV] M series Radio Mounts

mblair1@home.net
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 08:49:45 -0700

HMVWF97@aol.com wrote:
> I'm al little confused (and getting older) are you saying that the kit has
> the double humvee shelf in it?

I took a closer look at the kit and its instructions: No, I don't
think it does. The instructions are hard to make out, because they're
photocopied and the drawings were reduced from D-size to A-size
sheets, but I believe that the shelf included with the kit is an
auxiliary shelf which bolts underneath the main radio shelf. The main
radio shelf is not included with the kit, and it appears that both
radios must bolt to the main shelf.

The instructions say to bolt the auxiliary shelf to the radio shelf,
and the drawings show that two long straps on the aux shelf bolt to
the main shelf near the back, while two short flanges bolt to the
radio shelf supports near the transmission hump, thus suspending the
aux shelf about 6 inches below the main radio shelf. Maybe some
pictures of the shelf would help:

Top view:
http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/auxshelf1.jpg

Left side view:
http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/auxshelf2.jpg

(The picture quality isn't so great, because I didn't bother to set up
the Big Light).

It doesn't appear that the instructions tell me to bolt anything to
the aux shelf, and the holes in it don't seem to match either of the
radio mounts. I wonder what can go there? Maybe an intercom box, or
maybe security gear? I don't have much hands-on experience with
VRC-12-series gear yet.

So, I should ammend my previous statements. To complete the
installation, I think we would need:

* Bob's installation kit
* One RT-524(*) transceiver (or an RT-246(*), I guess)
* One R-442(*) receiver
* Antenna and tuner for transceiver (receiver antenna is included with kit)
* Main radio shelf (did this generally come with the HMMWV?)
* Handset mounting bracket (ditto?)
* Most, but not all, of the cables (such as main power cable, antenna
tuner control cable, etc)

I could try to scan the installation instructions tonight, but I don't
think they would be very legible.

By the way, I did inspect my kit's bill of materials carefully, and it
appears to include everything it is supposed to include. I wonder why
certain key items were not part of the kit, yet the kit includes stuff
which would certainly be required for the installtion of a single
RT-524(*), so I doubt that we're supposed to combine two installation
kits. The things that make you say "HMMwv"...

Off the top of my head, the kit includes:

* radio mounts for both radios
* auxiliary shelf
* one speaker and mounting hardware
* one handset
* antenna and antenna base for aux receiver, with adapter plate to
mount the old AB-15 base (included) in the new 5-hole antenna pattern
* zillions of bolts, cable clamps, cable ties, etc.
* two antenna tie-down kits, with antenna tips
* one antenna bracket for aux antenna (bracket for main antenna not
supplied)
* grommets
* power cable to connect two mounts together
* coaxial cable, adapters, etc.

The shelf and mounts are painted with green CARC; the antenna bracket
is black.

Further questions are welcome, but my brain might be empty now.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/