Re: [MV] M35 Registration in CA

mblair1@home.net
Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:04:49 -0700

"Ken Boge" <ken@clovermachine.com> wrote:
> Mark,
> I have my M35 registered in CA as a "Historic Vehicle" for an annual fee of
> $40.00.
[...]
> The basic procedure is:
> 1. Buy the truck and get your form 97.
> 2. Go to the DMV (the friendliest most cooperative office you can find) and
> get a temp permit to move the vehicle (good for one day, you fill in the
> date). The state you are moving it from will also require a move permit.

So, do I need to get a temp permit to have it hauled from where I
bought it to where I will be storing it? Or do I just need the permit
for the drive to the DMV for registration? I will be towing the truck
in-state from the DRMO yard to some hangar space I will be renting.

Can anybody recommend any particular DMV offices to go to or avoid in
and around Orange County?

> 3. Learn how to drive the truck.
> 4. Take the truck to the DMV office and get it registered. They will want
> to inspect the truck primarily to verify the VIN # (serial #) and classify
> it as a stake bed, flat bed, dump truck or whatever.

Will there be a problem if a long time, say, a few months, passes
between step 1 and step 4? There's no guarantee that the truck will be
drivable, and I won't even try (except for a quick spin around the
DRMO yard, if I can, of course!) until I tear it apart and check it
over with a fine-toothed comb. If I win both trucks that I bid on, one
of them may be a parts store for a while, and I may or may not ever
make it drivable.

> The truck is now a historic vehicle and subject to the same rules as an
> automobile. You don't have to stop at weigh stations or have any special
> licenses to drive it. Best of all you don't have to pay $800.00 a year in
> weight fees.

Do you ever get hassled by police/CHP officers who want to verify that
there's a club meeting or show at one end of your trip? Of course,
when I move to Arizona, I'll need to transport the truck from here to
there, and I'd be goofy to not have 8,000 pounds of my stuff in the
back when I do it. And I'd need to drive the truck around aimlessly
for a while to learn how to drive it, shake it down after working on
it, etc. How strictly do they interpret the use restrictions for
historic vehicles? Do they generally ignore infrequent short trips
without a show at one end, as necessary to test and maintain the
truck, move it between storage locations, etc?

I could not find manufacturing dates on the nameplates of the trucks I
bid on, but I'm under the impression that the M35-series trucks were
all made around 1968-1972. The trucks I bid on have much newer engines
(1980 and 1988), so I suspect that they had engine replacements. Is
there any way to obtain evidence of the age of the truck so they don't
just use the date stamped on the engine? I recall horror stories on
this list from folks who had trouble because the DMV officer didn't
understand that the military swaps truck parts around more often than
some people change their underwear, and it's entirely normal to
encounter a military truck with mismatched serial numbers, engine,
etc.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/