Re: [MV] Report of Halls Tn airshow & MV display

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 07:30:11 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Bonds <chut1st@aeneas.net>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 05 September 1999 05:11
Subject: Re: [MV] Report of Halls Tn airshow & MV display

>David is correct, it was a great airshow and an even better gathering of
>MV's. My sincere complements to the organizers of both parts. The APC
>(number 6 on the list) was an FV432.

The FV 432 built by GKN-Sankey was to be called Trojan but this apt name was
dropped owing to a car manufacturer with the same title. All Mk 1 432's are RR
B81 petrol (gas) powered being produced before the RR K60 diesel (multi-fuel)
was available and these B81 versions are most likely to be in private hands.

The FV 433 Abbot, named in keeping with previous SPG's, was actually a totally
separate design project (Vickers) and not just a 432 variant but brought
together with the 432 at a late stage, the hull is very different although the
transmission and tracks are entirely similar. Excepting possibly the first 10
Abbots with B81 power all are RR K60 fitted.

There is the FV 434 maintenance vehicle mounting a 3 ton hydraulic crane and a
Swingfire missile launcher FV 438.

Richard
(Southampton UK)