Re: [MV] m-37 smokes

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:01:01 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: steve shaw <gyrene37@webtv.net>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 05 September 1999 18:34
Subject: [MV] m-37 smokes

I have a '51 m-37 w/235 flathead engine. Oil pressure is about 50psi on
start up and drops to about 10psi when hot. When idling at stoplight,
etc. after hot it smokes (blue smoke) badly, but doesn't trail smoke
when running on the road.

Most likely worn inlet valve stems, guides and stem seals (if fitted), I'd
expect it to puff a bit after a down-hill coast too when you get on the gas
again too.

Remember the inlet valve stems and guides are under a near perfect vacuum on the
over-run and at a high level of depression when idling with the throttle only
just cracked open, this will draw oil up the inlet stems at a fair rate.

If its valve stem/guide wear the inlet valves will have noticeable side play
with the springs removed from just off the seat to the full open position (ie.,
over the normal running range of lift) and if its done some miles the backs of
the valves will have a fair deposit of black, oily carbon.

The effect can be severely exacerbated with choked valve chest oil drains
causing oil flooding of the stems and/or defective crankcase venting causing
pressurisation of the engine block.

Richard
(Southampton UK)