Re: [MV] Jumping from 27V welder?

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:44:47 -0500

>Has any one ever tried jumping a dead 24V system from a DC 27V welder
>source? It seems that it should work, having up to 225 amps (mine, any way)
>available for starting. What amperage would a person set it at to try that,
>or would you set it at max and let it draw what it wants?

I'll assume that you have a generic arc welder with a rectified output for
the DC and the current selection is done by taps or a wiper system. Then,
there isn't much difference between a battery charger/booster and a welder.

First off, voltage and current are dependant quanities (voltage = current x
resistance or current = voltage/resistance). The 27 volts sounds to low to
be the open circuit voltage (for a welder anyway) so if we assume that the
27 volts is the output voltage at 225 amps then it is plausible that you
should be able to get some nice current at the 28 (or more) volts needed to
charge a 24v battery pair. If the 27 volts is the open circuit (no load)
voltage then you won't get very far. The current setting on your welder is
actually just a voltage setting. If you put a voltmeter on the output with
no load, you will see the output voltage get higher as you increase the
'current control'. If open circuit output voltage is not over 28v then your
not going to charge the batteries. Every step above that point will just
increase the charge current.

I would not play with this unless you have an ammeter in the output line so
you can see what your doing, voltage is less important but you may want to
monitor it also.

>Could you charge the batteries that way, on low amperage?

Again, the amperage setting is actually a voltage control so, yes, set the
voltage control until you see the charge current (on an ammeter) that your
after.

And of course make sure the polarity is correct!

je