Re: [MV] RE: White Star on US vehicles.

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 15:20:33 -0500

Ken wrote,
....... So how come the USMC was/is exempt? I
>know that USAF vehicles carried the Star (don't know if they still do),,,,,
>but what about the Marines??? Their vehicles don't, and I don't think they
>ever did.

The purpose of the national symbol (star) on military vehicles is
for recognition. No star = shoot, has star = no shoot. This is why all
allied vehicles on D-Day had stars painted on them. It would have been bad
form for US forces to shoot up Brit and Canadian vehicles. Simple really.

The Marines never used stars? I would direct you to the book "Jeeps
Over the Pacific" by Yasuo Ohtsuka. Page 170 shows a line of USMC jeeps in
Korea with stars on the rear sides and another with one behind the driver.
Page 174 has a large photo of another (USMC 74075) with the star on the
rear side. Page 176 shows a jeep ambulance (USMC 86320) that also has a
star! There are also Marine CCKWs in the background of some photos with
stars on the side of the cab. The Marine's use of these stars was
probably for the same reason as D-Day. The Korean "conflict" was a UN
"police action" and although US forces made up the largest contingent,
there were many other countries (and their vehicles) fighting along with
us. No sense having some trigger happy Army types shooting up some
perfectly good Marine jeeps.

As to the selection of the upside down V for Desert Storm; This was
one of several symbols that were pre-selected to be used as a recognition
symbol. It was selected from the list just before the operation began.
Again, as with D-day, there was a coalition of forces and this was a simple
way to ID. No "V" = shoot. The Russians used a simple symbol like this
when they "liberated"(invaded) Czechoslovakia in 1968. A white cross was
painted on all the Russian armor. Since the loyal Czech forces used the
same tanks as they did it made identification easy.

Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA