Re: [MV] Humvee Starting Problems

Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:29:30 -0400

If you got one of those from the Atlanta auction, it didn't have 215 miles
on it as it was a speedo replacement. If you are cranking it and at some
time you are not getting any "blue" smoke, you ARE NOT getting fuel to the
injectors. Starting fluid is NOT recommended but; if you are using it, it
should "fire" at some point in time. Is the engine cranking fast enough?
Is there something stuffed in the intake manifold? A good diesel engine
will "fire" with the starting fluid if it is cranking with or without
ignition turned on. Also MOST IMPORTANT-- do not "stack" the starting
procedure! This means that after cranking, DO NOT-I REPEAT-DO NOT TURN
IGNITION SWITCH OFF AND THEN AGAIN TURN IT ON AND TRY CRANKING AGAIN
IMMEDIATELY!!!! After start light goes off and you crank it-wait a few
minutes for the glow plugs to cool off before attempting again. Failure to
do so will guarantee the "wilting" of your glow plugs and you will have to
remove the heads to get the rest of them out if you can't through the
injector ports. Julian