Re: [MV] M38 Leaf Spring Lubrication???

Mark Johnson (mcj115@psu.edu)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:12:20 +0000

> Just a general question; should leaf springs be lubricated? You could
>perhaps use graphite powder, old engine oil, gear oil, etc. One possible
>drawback in the use of oils is that they might keep gritty particles in
>between the leaves and accelerate the spring leaf-to-leaf wear.
My question is why use old engine oil? You take it out if the motor
because it is dirty, then you put it in/on your springs and you have
instant dirt in your springs without even driving. When I did the springs
on my jeep I very lightly put a coat of grease on the tips of the springs
when they have the most motion. Do not use too much grease as it will soon
collect dirt.

Mark Johnson
1952 M38A1 (2)
1964 CJ6
1966 CJ5
M416
BT3C
and a 55 CJ5 wrecker setup for the 5 or 6
Harrisburg, Pa