Re: [MV] WWII Universal carrier identification

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:58:12 +0100

BAUDUIN Raphael CNET/DSV/CAE wrote:

> I have just found, near Falaise (battle of the Falaise pocket) the remains
> of a canadian Universal Carrier which was probably destroyed by a direct
> hit.
> Photos of some parts are here :
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/raphael.bauduin/Images/

Raphael You must be on the slowest server in France... Coupled with the
large JPegs makes looking a nightmare. You should get a program like
JPEG Optimiser and seriously reduce the size of the files...

> Could someone help me identifying what model is it and to what unit did it
> belong (55 in a red square on right front and a blue square on the left
> front, yellow diamond with DI inside).
> The right lateral plate seems to be a MKI one but other accessories seem to
> be MKII ones.

It appears to be from an unit of 61st Infantry division which is a bit
puzzling as they didn't serve overseas and remained in the UK till the
end of the war. Its possible that the vehicle [and crew?] were battle
casualty replacements to an unidentified unit and they didn't have time
to repaint the vehicle. As to the original unit the yellow of the
diamond could follow a system used by armoured units and indicate the
second infantry brigade ie. 183rd Infantry Brigade which consisted of
7th Glosters and 10th Worcesters. As for the 'DI' I haven't the
foggiest...

Sorry I haven't been more helpful.

TTFN
Jim