RE: [MV] M38A1 - Refurbishment progress pictures of my project -

Marks, Greg (gmarks@kpmg.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:41:51 -0400

When I was thinking about doing my rear diff, I went out to West Coast
Differential's website and under the Technical section, there is an
excellent write up about shimming your own rear diff. Having never done
one, it was scary until I read their write up. I was so impressed that I
bought both the Ring/pinion and installation kit from them. In the
installation kit, there is a container of Gear Ink.

To answer your question, the Gear Ink is what I painted on the gears and ran
them back and forth to see the pattern.

As luck would have it, I got the rear diff put together on a Sunday, drove
it around for a half an hour and then parked it. 36 hours later, I flat
towed it 175 miles to evacuate from Hurricane Floyd. I was convinced that I
had ruined the new ring/pinion. This last Sunday, I went back to get the
jeep and opened the diff to see if there was any point in trying to flat tow
it home. The oil was VERY clean and close inspection of the ring/pinion
reflected no signs of wear.

In short, I am very pleased with WCD ring/pinion and their technical write
up. If you are thinking about tackling a rear diff and are moderately
handy/patient & have access to good tools or just interested in what's
inside a rear diff, take a look at their Website:

http://www.differentials.com/njtech.htm

Greg

is unauthorized.