Re: [MV] Event rules

Steve L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:05:16 -0500

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:43:13 -0400 "Stuart Ellis" <stuellis@mediaone.net>
writes:
>Hi! The guys dressed as nazi's were not with a display. They are
>part of a
>militia. They had pamphlets to hand out about joining their group.
>I see
>no reason for them to be there.
***** Was this at the same show ?

My father fought in WWII. As a
>member of
>the club, and being Jewish, I feel this is an insult.
***** This is a problem with period vehicles and dispalays. I remember
some people telling me what an effect the movie "Saving Private Ryan" had
on people who had actually been through combat like that in the movie. I
have some reservations about participating in a WWII re-enactment group
because of the living veterans. I think we still have to approach it
like we do with the vehicles. Not to glorify per say, but to display
what they looked like or sounded like back then

SS scum bags
>did
>serve with honor, they just killed innocent people.

***** Well, the list has been flowing along recently without a good
squabble (other than the few participants in the "who made the 1st real
jeep" discussion), so I will step into this trap with eyes wide open.
First of all I am a red blooded , born in the US of A (hell, Texas at
that) American. Parents met while both serving in the US Marine Corp. 3
brothers all in some form of working for this country. Loved the
military but was just wary enough of the down side not to join. Got
interested recently in furthering my participation iwith mil-veh's other
than just owning. Plan on expanding my "collection" to perhaps include
some foreign mil-veh's. Unimog, Ferret maybe ? (this is the connection
for the list, sneaky eh ?)
I believe we're all familiar with the saying, History is written by the
winners. I am by no means a Scholarly historian, but I have more than a
passing knowledge fo WWII, I like to think. NOT all of the SS units were
participants in some of the atrocities (spelling ?) perpetrated against
the Jewish peoples. If memory seves me correct we also put people
(americans at that) in "internment camps" here in the USA during that
time.
Most joined up to fight the communists. True, it seems like the SS had a
lesser problem killing than the regular army but thats the way they
trained. They also seemed to be more daring than the regular army units
too. Many were made up of all volunteers, even from countries other than
Germany. I believe General Patton even said being a member of the Nazi
Party in War time Germany was not much different than being a member of
the Democratic Party in the USA.
Let me finish up by saying I in no way endorse any current White Power
kind of thinking. But I believe we should have ALL Military vehicles
represented. ANd if I can wear a American Uniform to drive my Duece,
then I should be able to wear my WWII German SS (11th SS Nordland
Division) when I display my next mil-veh purchase, hopefully a German or
repro German vehicle from WWII.
I realize this will still offend some, but you cant please everybody
all the time. Steve
Flame On !!!!>
>Stu Ellis- Southern New Hampshire, USA
> "LIVE FREE OR DIE"
>
>1967 151A1 "MUTT" Jeep MVPA #14790
>1964 M416 Trailer MVMVC
>1952 M38A1 Ex-Owner
> "Always buying or selling WWII Firearms-Ammo-etc."
>*American-Japanese-German* Rifles Pistols Shotguns
>
>For Sale: Springfield M1 Garand Tanker - 30.06 Like new w/sling
> Springfield M1 Garand- Mint DCM Rebuild
> Remington Rand 1911A1- Mint DCM Rebuild
> Japanese Collector's Grade T38's & T99's etc.
>

>===

1953 M38A1 1/4 ton Jeep 1977 M882 5/4 ton
Truck
1962 M37B1 3/4 ton Truck
1968 M274A5 1/2 ton Utility, "mule"
1968 M109A3 2 1/2 ton Shop Van