[MV] Military Volkswagen Beetles

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:17:04 +0200

Glenn Goodman schrieb:

> I thought I knew the history of the "bug" pretty well and do not
> remember it ever being used as a mil vehicle...
> If anyone has more info or can point me elsewhere, I'm always
> open for new/better/more complete information regarding jeeps and VWs.

Here we are:

Many people know the VOLKSWAGEN Kübelwagen (type 82) and the Schwimm-
wagen (type 166), but there were other MVs from Volkswagen:

There were two types of VOLKSWAGEN "Beetles" used by the Wehrmacht:
Type 87 and type 82E. Both have the body of the Beetle (with split
rear window, which was used until 1953) and the chassis of the
Kübelwagen.

Type 87 has the four-wheel-drive from the Schwimmwagen and is only
produced 564 times. Most of them were in use in Africa.

Type 82E has only two-wheel-drive. It has the normal Kübelwagen
chassis.

The production of the type 82E was continued after the end of WW2
until 1946 as type 51.

The roller at the front, which Dave Fillman mentioned, was only used
at the "Kommandeurswagen", from which only a handful were built.

If you are interested, I can e-mail you some pictures of these
VOLKSWAGEN military beetles.

Best regards from Germany (20 miles south-west of Wolfsburg, home
of the VOLKSWAGENs)

Andreas