Re: [MV] Saving Private Ryan without the SS

Jon Shoop (shoop19@idt.net)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 01:00:52 -0500

At 08:47 PM 9/30/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Antoine wrote:
>
>>Parade and static displays do serve a real
>>purpose with the young public at large...
>>Reenactement, to the contrary, is merely and by design a
>>duplication of a tactical event and does not educate anybody
>about history and context...
>
>Wow... I couldn't disagree more. I'm not a re-enactor myself, but in my
>experience those I've encountered were even more serious about the history
>and "correctness" of their outfits than the military vehicle guys! Both
>groups have a full spectrum of participants, from casual to very-serious,
but
>the re-enactors seem very keen on studying their subject and then educating
>others with what they've learned.
>
>For me, learning the history of my vehicle and telling others about it is a
>great pleasure. Driving it around, even off-road, is cool, but not as much
>fun as sharing the history with others. I'll bet the same is true for many
>re-enactors.
>
>Steve Johnston

Steve,

I should say so.........you hit that nail right on the head......so many
can learn so much....if only they open their eyes...and ears......

Was invited to a reenactment last July the Fourth...the 55th anniversary of
the Patton Museum. Walk into the camps, with your eyes closed...and open
them and find yourself traveling back more than 50 years........I salute
these individuals for keeping history alive.

Jon