Re: [MV] Willys MB conversion 6V to 12 V

Antoine (antoine@usa.net)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:10:59 -0700

Thanks for the info. I live in California 90% of the time: I
guess I should make that clear in my signature! But my MB is in
Normandy, in dire need of TLC, since nobody in my family has any
interest in anything that reminds them of these dark years...
Reliability is what I am after, so that I can at least ask some
"lay person" to get it fired up avery couple of months or so...
I am tired of having to spend between $400 and $1000 every time
the Jeep stays unmolested for more than three months...
I have read on several documents culled from the Web that the
original 6V starting system will work fine under 12 volts. Big
ticket expenses are the genny and the regulator, all the rest is
relatively inexpensive, and the wiring (heavier gauge for 6v
than needed for 12v) can stay as is... Bulbs are a simple
matter, though the sealed units for the service and black-out
tail lights are harder to find in 12 volts. The French Army had
conversions allowing the use of regular 12v bulbs in the round
tail light housings.
What is the recommended amperage for a 12v battery for the jeep?
Antoine
Sherman Oaks, California
http://www.freehomepages.com/antoine
http://www.powow.com/harley42xa