Re: [MV] Re: Silicone Brake Fluid - PS

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:28:54 -0600

Buzz wrote:

> Sponginess? I've got mil spec silicone brake fluid in my MUTT and the pedal is up
> to the top and hard as a rock.
> Buzz

Hi Buzz. I didn't say that the brakes would necessarily feel spongy. In fact, I
haven't had spongy-feeling brakes with silicone fluid either. Generally, if the brakes
are properly bled, there won't be any problem.

However, being that silicone fluid is relatively more compressible than glycol fluid,
a rise in temperature or a small-to-large diameter ratio (master cylinder-to-wheel
cylinder) will tend to "soften" the feel of the pedal more than it will with glycol
fluid. And, as I mentioned, a lot of people have probably also had air bubbles trapped
in the line, which could add a lot more sponginess to the feel of the brakes.

Alan