[MV] Mr. Bailey and his Bridges.

Bruce Gilbert (b.gilbert@uws.edu.au)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:41:41 +1000

*********
Just because Bailey Bridges are several !! decades old, it does not mean
that there are out of existance.

In New South Wales, Austalia, our local government and/or Roads and
Traffice Authority use single/single Bailey panels to throw up (using
cranes, not manual labour) overhead pedestrian walkways over roads in local
suburbia to save the locals being cleaned up by speeding vehicles.

Panels are also regularly used to route cable, ducting, etc over busy
roads. Photos available if requested.

Having put together the odd one or two Baileys (Single/single,
single/double and double/double), I have dreaded the situation during a
night exercise, when struggling with 5 others in holding a panel place
during assembly, to hear the exclamation "@#$%^@@, I just dropped the $%@#*
'ing pin !!".

This is possibly an off-topic item, but I bet I jog a few memories. Also,
trucks have the round weight signs, which often related to a particular
species of Baileys, and other bridges.

Bruce in Sydney
(Australain Army Reserve Engineers, first truck driven was a 1942
Studebaker 6X6.

******