RE: [MV] M38A1 E-Brake question?

Frank Robertson (tankdriv@gte.net)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:31:16 -0500

Look at the shoes. There is a primary shoe and a secondary shoe. The long
shoe goes to the back. Check and see if this is the problem.

Frank Robertson
Memphis, TN. USA
"Miss Dixie" "Tha Thing"
_______ ______
___| (.o.) |___ _/______\
|___|___n___|___| _/|_______|\_
|\ /| / [___][___] \
|_\[o]o____[o]/_| /\_ [o] [o] _/\
|w||_________||w| |w||_________||w|
|w||u_______u||w| |w|\u u/|w|
|w| |w| |w| \_______/ |w|
[w] [w]
M5A1 Stuart Light Tank M20 Armored Car
Tankdriv@gte.net
http://home1.gte.net/tankdriv/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-Mil-Veh@skylee.com [mailto:owner-Mil-Veh@skylee.com]On
Behalf Of Mark McKee
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 4:37 PM
To: Mil-Veh List
Subject: [MV] M38A1 E-Brake question?

O.k. all you keepers of odd knowledge, I'm stumped. My E-brake shoes needed
pads, and not being able to get NOS pads and rivets, I took them to the
local shop that relines shoes and had him do it. He installed 3/16" thick
material on each shoe.

My problem is that when the E-brake apparatus is installed on the jeep,
according to Hoyle and the manual, the pads bind and catch when I want to
move forward. No binding when in reverse. Since I don't like driving at high
speeds in reverse, I need to fix this problem.

Looking at the geometry underneath, I don't appear to have enough adjustment
room to fix this problem. Are the pads too thick, and as a result causing
this binding problem? The shoes attach to the lever on the two posts, but
they both seem pretty sloppy, with quite a bit of wobble and movement. Is
this a problem?

Any info will help, and as always, it is appreciated.

Mark McKee
'52 M38A1 (MD 22468)