RE: [MV] Starter question on a CCKW

Keith, Steve (Steve.Keith@compaq.com)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 07:10:38 -0500

Be careful!!!!

There are 12v starters and 6v starters

There are 12v FLYWHEELS and 6v FLYWHEELS

Opposites don't work!

Actually you can change just the ring gear. I have done that replacing a 12v
with a 6v so I could use my WW2 6v starter with 12 volts (the only way to
fly or start)

Dr Deuce

-----Original Message-----
From: Dweezle123@aol.com [mailto:Dweezle123@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 1999 8:37 AM
To: 44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au; mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] Starter question on a CCKW

Does anyone with a cckw 2 1/2 ton know if NAPA has a starter that will work
on the 270 engine? I heard versions of this motor were used in GMC pickups
in the 1950s but dont know if they fit in. This truck has a funny modified
dual voltage 6/12 system that someone set up so the voltage can be either 6
or 12 on the starter as long as it will fit in place alright.