Re: [MV] Buddy system for road tests

Mark Johnson (mcj115@psu.edu)
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:00:55 -0800

>With all the attention being paid to requirements for obtaining CDLs,
>there's something else that's being overlooked. Mark has twice mentioned
>how hard it is to find someone who's already licensed to ride with him
>to the road test. This is something that I've wondered about too, when
>those fantasies of GMC deuces begin to settle back down to earth.
>
>How can MV folks help each other out in this regard? Are there folks
>with CDLs on the list who would be willing to ride shotgun for others
>who are "upsizing" their bad habits? How about contacting nearby MV
>groups? Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for the list or
>the MVPA to set up a Baby-sitters Club to help out fellow MV owners who
>want to become drivers?

If anyone in central/south central Pa needs a driver to ride with them I am
willing just let me know. I am class A with air brakes but have never
actually driven a vehicle like that so about all I could do is ride. I
slowly got my CDL in steps though I practically never use it. I got a
class B in a straight truck, class A in a tow truck with a small Isuzu box
behind it, and finally an airbrake endorsement in a air brake equipped
straight truck. I figured for the minimal cost of the license like $60
additional it was good insurance to have. Heck all you had to do to get a
CDL 10 years ago was fill out a form and take a written test when, simple
but most of us never thought of it at the time(and heck I still had years
to go before I could drive a car even).

Mark Johnson
1952 M38A1 (2)
1964 CJ6
1966 CJ5
M416
BT3C
and a 55 CJ5 wrecker setup for the 5 or 6
Harrisburg, Pa