Re: [MV] A brief intro to Mil Stds and Numbering systems

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:35:38 -0600

>Not knowing the meaning of abbreviations and part numbers can be very
>frustrating. Sometimes those of us in the "business" use references
>interchangeably at will, frustrating many folks out there. I'll make
>this as concise as possible. First, I spent 35 years designing various
>things for numerous aerospace/military projects.

Congrats, I made it 9 then I bailed.

>.. ex:B342167. A letter
>following a std or dwg number is the revision letter of the drawing. "A"
>is rev A, "B" is rev B and so on, ex:B342167C

We did not do it this way. No part or drawing numbers began with a letter.
In fact there were never any letters at all. There was an elaborate dash
system were -1 was top level and -2 was mirror image part of the -1, if it
existed, -3 and -4 meant something as well but after that it was just assign
the dash as need be.

>...... Military Standard is "Mil Std"

Yes, then there are the MIL-(letter)-(number) specs in addition to the MS
specs, for example I believe that brake fluid is a MIL-B-xxxx. The letter
always seems to have something to do with the name or title of the object
the spec is for. Never really got into why they have the MS ones and the
letter/number ones???

I made copies of most of the MS's pertaining to MV's like all the electrical
parts. Unfortunetly when you go to look up the FSCM (federal standard code
for manufacturers, everyone that sells to the DOD needs one I beleive) it is
something like 19207 (????) which turns out to be TACOM in Michigan. So at
least with our system I could never find out who actually makes the parts.

>... A letter following a Standard(MS32067B)means
>that this is the "B" rev to the standard and is not part of the standard
>number.

They also may follow the rev letter with an additional number. Which brings
up the fact that alot of the specs are not for parts or physical objects.
The data bus standard (harware and software protocols) that I worked on was
MIL-STD-1553-B1, or environmenal test requiements (shake and bake) are
MIL-STD-810C for example.

The big joke that every new hire got hit with was to give him a mil spec
number and tell him to go up to the component library, which is where all
the microfilm stuff was, and bring back a copy. Of course the spec was for
condoms. Everyone in the group always got a big laugh when you came back
and I'm sure the componets people get a chuckle out of it as well.

Sure wish I had access to that library now. Does anyone know of a public
facility that would have all the MS's, AN's, Mil-Std's, etc?

je