Re: [MV] AAAAuuugh! Frozen lug nuts!!!!

James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:27:08 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: mblair1@home.net <mblair1@home.net>
To: Mil-veh@skylee.com <Mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Thursday, November 11, 1999 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] AAAAuuugh! Frozen lug nuts!!!!

>"James Shanks" <n1vbn@bit-net.com> wrote:
>> Let me state one thing I forgot to post previously. Whether you
choose a
>> 1 inch air gun or a 3/4 inch gun make sure you buy the gun with a 6
inch
>> shank or you will quickly find out why they make em AKA: you cant get the
>> socket on the lug nut because something is too close to the case of the
gun.
>> Been there, done that and believe me it ain't a lot of fun when it rears
up
>> and prevents you from finishing the job the easy way.
>
>I bought a cheap import (well, $190 is cheap compared to an
>Ingersoll-Rand, anyway) 3/4" drive impact wrench from TiP Tools
>(www.tiptools.com), along with a set of deep impact sockets (for the
>1.5" hex socket) and a set of shallow sockets (for the 13/16" square
>socket), for use on my M109A3 multifuel 6x6. The wrench does not have
>a long shank, but luckily the wrench body is just narrow enough to
>allow me to fully seat the socket on my truck's lug nuts, with the
>wrench's rubber boot resting against the bearing hub. An extender
>would definitely be a good idea, because the socket goes on the lug at
>a small angle otherwise, but the particular wrench/socket combination
>seems to work well enough for me for now. I can see how the same
>combination might not work on a truck with a different lug pattern, or
>how a different wrench with a wider body might not work on my truck.
>
>I'd probably worry more about having the socket on the lug at a small
>angle, but the compressor I'm using isn't rated to deliver as many CFM
>of air as the wrench wants, and it's driving the wrench through a
>loooong 1/4" ID air hose (neither the compressor nor the hose are
>mine, so I take what I can get!), so I figure the wrench isn't
>delivering anywhere near its rated torque of 700 ft-lbs anyway... :-/
>
>Now, once my truck and I live in the same place, I might think about
>getting a monster compressor and proper hosage that can feed the
>wrench as much air as it wants, so then I might need to worry more
>about wedging up lug nuts and/or sockets.
>
>So, I agree with James' advice, but I did the opposite of what he
>recommended and got lucky. :-)
>
>Does anybody know of a good place to order a 3/4" drive impact
>extender for cheap?

Mark,

When talking impact extensions there is only one way to go. Stop at the
next garage you see a Matco, Snapon tool truck and pay the money for a 6
inch IMPACT (they are easy to tell because they are black) extension. If it
is not an impact rated extension it will break sooner or late as standard
extensions are not rated for impact gun use.

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
n1vbn@N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM