[MV] RE: Chevy truck

Keith, Steve (Steve.Keith@compaq.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 06:58:06 -0500

The 900-20's will hit the drag link on the driver's side and gouge the tire.
In addition, the extra width and (usually) offset driving axis from the
wheels will make it difficult to steer. Then there is the "steering ball
failure" issue which sounds ominous and probably is (I never did find out
what this was).

The correct 7.50-20's are available. Watch out for the wheels. They rot out
and can become dangerous...

Put an ignition resistor in series with the coil and use a 12 battery. You
will be much happier IMHO.

Dr Deuce

-----Original Message-----
From: David Duckett [mailto:SUPERDAVE900@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 11:43 PM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com

Hey list,

I'm kind of new to all of this, so please bear with me. I recently
purchased a 1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy 4-wheel drive military truck. The truck is
pretty complete and in good shape although it's been sitting outside for a
while(12 years). The people I bought it from say it was running just fine
when it was parked 12 years ago. I am going to try to get it running so I
can hopefully move it without a trailer. Any tips or suggestions? The
truck still has the original 6 volt system as far as I can tell. Also,
does anyone know if 9.00 x 20 tires will fit on this truck, at least for
temporary use? It has 7.50 x 20's on it, but they are in terrible shape,
and apparently tires that size are pretty scarce. I have found a place
locally(West Texas) that has a bunch of used 9.00 x 20's for sale at a
decent price(35$ apiece) I would also appreciate any other info about this
truck, as I really have no idea what it is. I do have photos which I can
e-mail to help in the identification. Finally, where might I find service
manuals that show overhaul / maintenance procedures, etc. for this truck?

thanks,

MV newbie

Dave