Re: [MV] M-43 has the Flu

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:47:04 -0700

Shaun,

A few questions to help in the diagnosis:

Was it working OK before you cleaned the carb the first time?

Do you have normal power and acceleration up to 40 MPH?

Have you done any work on the governor?

Is there any noticeable fuel leakage between the carburetor casting parts?

Is the butterfly valve plate tight on the throttle shaft? (If it doesn't move
around, it's probably OK. If it's loose, don't try tightening it until you've
read the instructions in my carb overhaul article).

You might remove the air emulsion tube from the top of the carb and
double-check it to make sure that all of the openings and passages are clear.
It's the most common thing to clog up, due to the small orifice sizes, one of
which is about the diameter of a human hair.

Ignition is also a possible problem area, although if you just cleaned the carb
before the problem developed, I'd lean in the fuel direction instead of
ignition. Problems with points, condenser, noise filter capacitor, cap, rotor,
coil, centrifugal advance, loose breaker plate, etc. etc. are all candidates.
Plugs and ignition wires are less likely, since it isn't likely that more than
one would go bad at a given time. Re-check my distributor overhaul article.

Articles are at: http://todacosa.com/html/m37-pw-service.htm

Allow a few minutes for each article to download, due to number of images.

Good luck,

Alan