[MV] M8 and M20 nickname (?)

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:00:37 +0100

At 13.08 17/11/99 +1030, DOUG wrote:
>A while back there was a thread about how to decode US Ordinance
vehicle>codes eg DUKW, CCKW.
>Frank Robertson and I have been discussing the M8 Greyhound and
M20>vehicles and wonder if anyone knows if the correct code for an M20>is
GBK? If so then:

>A) Does this code apply to the Greyhounds too?
>B) Does "G" stand for FORD as in GPW?
>C) What does the "B" mean?
>D) I think someone said that the "K" means 6x6, have I got that right?
>E) Why is it 3 letters instead of 4?
>
>--
>Regards
>Doug

Nov. 17 1999

Doug,
I cannot help with your questions, sorry, but I have another question:
Why Greyhound? As far as I know (I may be WRONG!) this nickname was given
by the British in WWII?
So only British manned M8 and M20 should be called Greyhound?
Did the Yankees call them Greyhound too?

M8 = Light Armored 6x6 Car

M20 = Light Armored 6x6 Utility Car.

Is the above correct?

Regards and
Keep Them Rolling!

I do not know if here we may still Keep Them Rolling because from January
1st (to start the Millennium...) the red gasoline will no longer be
available at gas pumps... The E.C. has forbidden his sale. Only Green
Gasoline will be allowed... I have this problem with my daily running car
which is not running on Green Gasoline. I purchased it in 1980. It is a
sort of collector item, made by FIAT in Brazil in 5000 (!!!) units and I
think that very few have survived.

Regards,
Raimondo - M.V.P.A.