[MV] Vehicle names

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:57:32 +0100

At 08.50 18/11/99 +1030, DOUG wrote:
>Lars and Raimondo
>
>> Greyhound is the British WWII name for the M8. The M20 >>actually never
received a British name. The US, as far >>as I know, did not have any
nickname for them.

>Using the name does make life a lot simpler. I find it >very unhelpful
when someone posts a message to the list >saying I need an XXX for my M3.
Unless I dive into all my >books I do not have a clue whether this is a
truck, self >propelled gun, scout car, half track or a tank if it is
>something for an armoured vehicle I may be able to help >them.

DOUG
Of course, I agree with you! It is a bad habit to just say the M and a
number. If it is WWII I may be able to understand what is it quite easily,
but sometime not... I would like to suggest the List to be more specific.
This suggestion has already been made in the past by more people,
especially newcomers. If it is post-WWII (especially 80's or 90's) well, I
shall be in trouble and I have to check my library...!

>There is a variant of Jeep that is called an M20!

DOUG!
Don't be "sadic"! What is a M20 Jeep??? Any picture?

>It was the English that bestowed names onto the majority >of US
military>vehicles; such as "Sherman" onto the M4 >Medium, "Grant/Lee"
(depends on>turret type) onto the M3 >Medium and "Stuart" onto the M3/M5
series Light.
>Someone decided that tanks would be named after US >Generals, armoured
cars after dogs.
>In the case of the Stuart, the crews called them "Honeys" >because they
had never had such a reliable easy to >maintain vehicle as this. It is>not
hard to see why they >used names when an M3 could be a
>medium or a light tank in the same unit.
>
>Whether or not you use the name is probably your own >"personnal country
of origin" thing, but I do find it >curious when I see the English names
converted to >American spellings eg., Stuart becomes Stewart, Greyhound >to
Grayhound, just doesn't look right somehow!

>As to the lack of a name for the M20 Light Armored 6x6 >Utility Car, I am
guessing the English did not use a >significant enough number of them (if
any at all) and did >not bestow a name? One curious thing is that there
>appears to be no name for the M3 Scout Car, despite >extensive use by
Commonwealth countries; they are >commonly known in
>Australia as a "White Scout Car".
>
>Regards
>Doug

In the beginning, I thought that the Greyhound (correct spelling!) was a
modification of the M8 6x6 Light Armored Car made for the british...
Later, I learned that it was just a nickname...

NOW: what is a "Lynx" (spelling?)?

Go to http://home.wxs.nl/~buka/images/bussum989.jpg

Which is the full correct denomination? Is this a "Lynx"?

Again: http://home.wxs.nl/~buka/images/bussum9718.jpg

What is it?

Thanks Doug (and Lars and the List!)

O.D. is Much Better and